Structuring the Forum...

With great power comes great responsibility
Arch Evil
Gentle Giant

Re: Structuring the Forum...

Post by Arch Evil » Thu 03 Feb 2011 15:01

Ah, so the 610nm board style is the same as TAPs! Nice =)

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Thu 03 Feb 2011 15:23

Arch Evil wrote:Ah, so the 610nm board style is the same as TAPs! Nice =)
Yeah, that one was easy @onion28@

But honestly 98% of the other styles are either too dark, or too bright, lacking decent contrast.
But it's no big deal to add new styles.

I have set the registration back to "admin confirmed", so if Bookworm also wants to join, any of you should be able to confirm a registration.

http://www.ecardmax.com/hoteditor/

So I tried to copy topics page-wise (15 each) via "print view", but it's still a lot of work due to the necessary tweaking. The above mentioned tool at least converts the font-settings - which all other tools do not, but it also includes HTML-Tables. And uses a different definition for [hr].

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Thu 03 Feb 2011 16:12

Jo' wrote:The forum permissions are open for discussion of course. I was just slightly annoyed to be stalked by a spam-bot already, while we set that thing here up.
Ah, so the 'russian dude' was a spambot?

I'd prefer to have the forums visible without having to log in. Sometimes I just want to stop by and see if anyone's made a new post without having to type my username and password.
Jo' wrote:@Dark - Do you have any rights to increase the displayed posts for topics on TAP?
Not globally. Because I'm a moderator, I can go into the moderator control panel on any topic and view all the posts in that topic on one page. But I can't change it so that everyone sees the same thing.

Have we enabled guest posting so that people can stop into the admin forum and request their registration to be authorised?

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Thu 03 Feb 2011 17:04

@Dark - Funny, you check forums manually if new posts came in? Are you on a different computer than your own (where you not save your passwords)? Actually it's possible to subscribe to entire Forums and get notifies if anything was posted in there.

I made a test registration to see that for myself. You Admins should have gotten an email telling you about "Joe Test".

*goes to mess with forums permissions again...*

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Fri 04 Feb 2011 03:51

Jo' wrote:@Dark - Funny, you check forums manually if new posts came in? Are you on a different computer than your own (where you not save your passwords)? Actually it's possible to subscribe to entire Forums and get notifies if anything was posted in there.
I don't like leaving things in my browser cache, so I've set Firefox to empty my cache (including cookies) every time I close the program. So yes, I log in to each forum every time - though Firefox does remember my username, so I just have to enter my password.

I'm not active on many forums, so it's easy enough for me to check them manually. It keeps my inbox free of notification spam, too.

Arch Evil
Gentle Giant

Post by Arch Evil » Fri 04 Feb 2011 14:57

Jo' wrote:I made a test registration to see that for myself. You Admins should have gotten an email telling you about "Joe Test".
It showed up. Finally back to a forum that sends emails! @onion14@

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Fri 04 Feb 2011 16:10

Arch Evil wrote:It showed up. Finally back to a forum that sends emails!
:blue44:
Darkling wrote:It keeps my inbox free of notification spam, too.
"Downunder" obviously doesn't need our notifications :beee:

Australia vs. Western Europe = 1:2 (Europe wins)

BTW there is a "national Flags" mod. Anybody who'd fancy that one?

Darkling wrote:Because I'm a moderator, I can go into the moderator control panel on any topic and view all the posts in that topic on one page.
I saw that on the moderation panel here as well. I would suggest grabbing topics on TAP that way and storing them on our PCs as HTML files. I sort of gave up on the idea to transfer topics over. I mean, seriously, we have almost 5000 posts under "roleplaying". And, sure, it would be nice to have them here for reference or melancholic reasons. But if I can look them up as well on my computer, then the whole copy work isn't really worth the hassle.
Last edited by Jo' on Fri 04 Feb 2011 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added stuff

Jo'
Not nice desü

Re:

Post by Jo' » Sat 05 Feb 2011 10:50

Darkling wrote:Ergh, and it would be nice to change the date format so it includes the actual day (ie Monday, Tuesday), not just the date.
Sorry, I missed that one. This can be set on a per user basis. Also if you wish to rather have it in British order 'backwards'.

[User Control Panel] -> [Board preferences] -> [Edit global settings] -> [My date format]

I (we can) collect the main issues in the first post of this topic.

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Mon 07 Feb 2011 08:46

I think we should probably have an admin forum that's just for mods. This topic can go in there.

Then we can just have a 'general discussion' forum for public view. Is there a way to allow guests to post in the general forum so they can request that their registrations be authorised?

Jo'
Not nice desü

Re:

Post by Jo' » Mon 07 Feb 2011 11:19

Darkling wrote:Is there a way to allow guests to post in the general forum so they can request that their registrations be authorised?
Yes, permissions can be set on a per forum, per user and per group basis :mellow:

I think I just figured, why registered users like Book and Kitty couldn't post: The group permissions in the forums were set to "read only"
@onion16@

So administration is now hidden from Guest and General discussion has "limited access" (simple posting) for Guest.

On that occasion. What if we want to talk about "sensitive" subjects, like the "bobx" link, lolicon or if it comes to explicit writing in RP / FF?
@onion35@