Structuring the Forum...

With great power comes great responsibility
Jo'
Not nice desü

Re: Structuring the Forum...

Post by Jo' » Tue 08 Feb 2011 10:59

Darkling wrote:but I'm a bit daunted by all the permissions that need to be set for a new parent forum.
:laughing: And it doesn't help that they repeat accessing the same options through different tab. But Permissions can be also copied across forums.
Darkling wrote:Could you create a new parent forum called 'Administration' and put the mod forum and the admin & support forum in there?
I shall give my best to archive this aim...
Darkling wrote:couldn't we just create a new user group that has permission to view the 'mature content' forum, then add users to that group when they request it?
Ah, that's an option I didn't consider (see: daunting permissions) I suggest just adding user to the forum itself. It's an easy way, and we still can set individual permissions for every user.

On the guest "can I has reg?" You wanna write a litte eposé for potentially interested ppl what niché this forum addresses. Because I don't feel, this forum - should ppl register en masse - should stray into general mainstream stuff.

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Tue 08 Feb 2011 11:38

Jo' wrote:Ah, that's an option I didn't consider (see: daunting permissions) I suggest just adding user to the forum itself. It's an easy way, and we still can set individual permissions for every user.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean adding each individual user to the 'groups' list and giving them access to the mature content forum? Or is there a way to authorise individual users to view a particular forum?

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Tue 08 Feb 2011 12:03

Darkling wrote:Or is there a way to authorise individual users to view a particular forum?
Yes.

[Permissions] -> [Forum Permissions] -> choose desired Forum -> left hand: "add users"

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Tue 08 Feb 2011 16:11

That seems straightforward enough. We can do it that way, then, if the need for a mature content forum ever comes up.

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Tue 08 Feb 2011 16:31

BTW: anybody knows who kartosh is? Obviously no-one of you activated this registration.

Darkling
Kana's Oniichan

Post by Darkling » Wed 09 Feb 2011 01:41

At TAP I got into the habit of Googling a new user's IP address if I was suspicious that they were a bot.

Searching for 109.67.252.145, I find that it's mentioned one time at stopforumspam.com, which is enough for me to delete that user's account. (Well, at TAP I only have the authority to deactivate accounts, not delete them. Kamajii or DarkCntry would then have to go through the list of deactivated users and purge it from time to time.)

Arch Evil
Gentle Giant

Post by Arch Evil » Wed 09 Feb 2011 02:01

Clever habit =)

Arch Evil
Gentle Giant

Post by Arch Evil » Fri 11 Feb 2011 20:19

New user account, "aceday". Someone from Latvia. Googled his IP adress: 80.233.196.71 appears in our database 947 times (stopforumspam.com).
DELETED @onion28@

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Sat 12 Feb 2011 08:51

The forum is not yet officially linked in the web-world! So it's not possible yet to joint the forum by finding it e.g. via google. Clearly those spambots must have memorised this location from a couple of years ago where I once ran a forum under the same link. What an infestation...

@Dark - are you still considering to transfer topics?

Arch Evil
Gentle Giant

Post by Arch Evil » Wed 16 Feb 2011 19:56

And another spambot tried to sign in...