Annoying Anime

Jo'
Not nice desü

Re: Annoying Anime

Post by Jo' » Tue 09 Sep 2014 12:51

Weißt Du die Namen all dieser Manga auswendig? :kipp:

I admit I consume anime and the occasional manga on a pretty superficial level, bit this is also, because most do not really touch me that much and it doesn't really get any "better" by watching more anime - the contrary since stereo-typical clichees are obviously copied by many mangaka over and over. I don't k now what motivates the mangaka. Maybe they find a certain idea hilarious and go with that - as an artist. Maybe others have in mind to have their manga turned into an anime.

Actually I just watched "Age of Hero" (or sth.) Sci-Fi space opera type. But the actual hero doesn't suck as much as they usually do. In fact even though he's depicted as "primitive" or "under educated" he's quite likeable. Despite his (again) "I like everyone on this ship" but he IS for a change quite consistent (esp in his supa-powers), since he was brought up with a task and the plot follows this through. Well, he gets lost in the end and they could obviously not do without him re-appearing in the very last minute(!) of the show. Kind of spoiling the end (as so very often). This (anti) happy end was absolutely unnecessary, since he had done his task - humankind was safe - the wars were over and he was no longer necessary for human kind ("tribe of iron") to move on peacefully.
Bookworm wrote:in the end they get to the conclusion that an artist is an enthusiast - literally meaning, he's possessed by a god. So it's some kind of higher power which turns man into an artist and urges him to create art. If it's like that, a true artist can't be bought with money, since there are stronger forces present in his life.
Being an artist, I see truth in that. There is an urge, suppressing it isn't good for my state of mind. And I think many pop-starts show in their lives off-stage how doing it for fame and money or rather being forced to or feeling obliged to results in mental damage as well.

But There are also humans who enjoy stacking shelves - not their entire life for sure, but it's a simple task that allows their minds to wander off to where ever. I believe potentially we are all artists, not that one NEEDS to be one, but much creativity is "extinguished" at young age through so-called "education", which "streamlines" the children for this type of society we are living in. I don't call it a civilisation, since I do not feel this word applies to this world - yet.

Only recently I read that Nick Kershaw's song "the riddle" shall - according to himself - not make any sense at all. He was under pressure to write just another song and that's what it turned out to be. I never understood, why some artists had few brilliant songs and the rest of their album(s) were so banal, so boring, so irrelevant and deprived of emotion or meaning, till I learnt about their contracts which forced them to produce certain numbers of records per year...
Bookworm wrote:The perverted father, who in the end gets beaten up by his daughter or his wife (or both of them simultaneously), strangely shows up in quite a number of different stories.
That's culturally and psychoplogically an interesting thing in itself. Is it presented by male and female mangaka alike? I mean if kids watch that often enough, doesn't it have an effect on how you perceive adults? And since lots of Japanese adults watch that too, do they perhaps feel obliged to adapt to such a depiction?

Bookworm
Preacher of KANAism

Post by Bookworm » Thu 11 Sep 2014 08:46

Jo' wrote:Weißt Du die Namen all dieser Manga auswendig? :kipp:
Bei den kürzeren Namen ist das kein Problem; aber bei den Bandwurmnamen muss ich weiterhin nachprüfen, ob ich sie auch richtig geschrieben habe. :mellow:
Jo' wrote:That's culturally and psychoplogically an interesting thing in itself. Is it presented by male and female mangaka alike? I mean if kids watch that often enough, doesn't it have an effect on how you perceive adults? And since lots of Japanese adults watch that too, do they perhaps feel obliged to adapt to such a depiction?
The "perverted father" is probably just a way to make fun of stupid adults; I guess once that was invented by one mangaka, others copied it, and by now it's turned into some kind of running gag. I remember I've seen that joke used in several stories, like Kashimashi or Koi Neko; and then there's a similar figure, the "perverted principal" in To-Love-ru. But nevertheless I'm sure that incestuous feelings between fathers and daughters aren't part of Japanese culture - things like that get depicted in hentai manga that much just because they're taboo. There's still a difference between stories and reality; for example, we evidently didn't develop incestuous inclinations either, even though we liked to play KLS that much. And in America children don't expect their fathers to act like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin even after watching The Simpsons or Family Guy.

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Thu 11 Sep 2014 11:08

Bookworm wrote: There's still a difference between stories and reality; for example, we evidently didn't develop incestuous inclinations either, even though we liked to play KLS that much.
I also enjoy the one or other violent video game or anime - actually violence and killing is a main stream topic.

However I once played "Ridge Racer" on the Playstation 1 very extensively with a neGcon (twist controller) and cornering heavily relied on drifting. I do have a driver's license but have no car and pretty much never drove a car in Germany. But around this time I went to a go-card track and I bested regular car drivers only ending up 5th place because someone accidentally crash-pushed me off position 4. Meaning playing the game trained me unwittingly handling the physical go-cart, swiftly drifting through corners.

There is a video on youtube, where someone observed kids at an american school, where TVs are running in the background and how the young people reacted to the permanetly running advertisements. Interviews revaled that the kids have a very different way of perceiving commercials to the point of thinking parts of them are not only honest, but also real and not staged.

To mind comes the anime adaption "Persona 4" where this one kids like under hypnosis always instantly reacts to the commercial tune of the towns largest store, chanting along with it.
Bookworm wrote: And in America children don't expect their fathers to act like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin even after watching The Simpsons or Family Guy.
Who knows? But are these really children shows to begin with? And both are non sequential comedies.

Anime often put on very grim and seemingly serious settings and scenarios - stretching towards a showdown or hopeful conclusion over the usual 12 or 24 episodes. Tear-jerking drama contrasts jokes which seem only to be there for "comical relieve". Since there are SO MANY if find it hard to believe that it has no effect.

Just yesterday I happened to be in the Kinderzimmer of a 11 y/o boy (son of the business owner below) who over the last three years spoke to me how much he liked star wars (clone wars) and recently the Halo universe (since he wasn't allowed to play the games yet). I was quite surprised to find a little arsenal of toy guns and rifles in his room, which mainly consisted of star wars and fantasy story books. Recalling my room there was much more variety and my parents had way less money than his today.

Despite he seems frail and generally friendly :laughing:

Where we are back at the ulterior motives of producing such shows. I watch random anime, using the more or less working genre filters, avoiding as much as possible the "slice of life" school children settings. But those are still the inherent main theme, merely replaced as space cadet academies or magical schools.

1. there is often one weird looking (off-drawing style) person (e.g. Q-chan in "Ayashi no Ceres"), the bear (seriously W-T-F!?) in "Knights of Sidonia".

2. there is usually always a weird cute abstract being. e.g. "Bee no Bee" the AI in "Age of Hero", Marie in "Onegai Sensei". Alternatively a speaking animal - mostly a cat. Plus they add weird words at the end of their sentences (nya, nyo, kuma, chi, chu...): hard core parody of that would be Digi-Charad (which in itself is of course funny again ;D

And then I just realised, most odd is the following: even though the Japanese come up with the most bizarre settings and background stories (gene manipulation, aliens, other dimension monsters, viruses or whatever kind of total world destruction), the characters in those story behave in the VERY SAME way as they always do. Obviously the character design can not or has very hard times adopt to a totally different future scenario.

"All" have the same aggressiveness (tsundere), shame, awkwardness, sexual inhibitions, shyness, lack of respect and the like. Apparently indenpendently of the societies those stories take place in. Esp. sci-fi stories with alternative futures of "a better world". In those people would behave VERY differently. Still the worldly standard traits keep always the same from anime to anime. Even the ethics, the aims.

And last but not least. The scene where a girl is sad wanding in the streets and immediately hit on by bad guys, who have no other intention as to rape her. Esp. if she wandered off due to a sad moment.

Variety: The scene where the character as a kid gets lost and the average random person in the street is in 99% violently unkind kicking the kid out of the way. (Elfenlied trauma). Is this how things are in Japan?

What I am getting at is, the more you repeat it, the more "normal" it becomes - doesn't it?

Bookworm
Preacher of KANAism

Post by Bookworm » Mon 15 Sep 2014 09:01

Jo' wrote:But are these really children shows to begin with?
Shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad or South Park surely aren't targeted at an audience of minors. And except for The Simpsons, where the humour isn't that crude, I wouldn't recommend them for children at all.
Jo' wrote:I watch random anime, using the more or less working genre filters, avoiding as much as possible the "slice of life" school children settings.
Evidently our respective tastes are very different; as that's the category I prefer the most. :smile:
Jo' wrote:And then I just realised, most odd is the following: even though the Japanese come up with the most bizarre settings and background stories (gene manipulation, aliens, other dimension monsters, viruses or whatever kind of total world destruction), the characters in those story behave in the VERY SAME way as they always do.
In fact those stories aren't about aliens or other worlds - they're about our own world, with the strange setting used only as a disguise to make it more interesting.
Jo' wrote:And last but not least. The scene where a girl is sad wanding in the streets and immediately hit on by bad guys, who have no other intention as to rape her ... Is this how things are in Japan?
It's probably not more common in Japan than it's over here, but it just makes for a convenient plot device - which indeed gets rather boring after a while since it got copied that much already.
Jo' wrote:What I am getting at is, the more you repeat it, the more "normal" it becomes - doesn't it?
It wouldn't get repeated in the first place, if the audience couldn't relate to it - so it doesn't have to be something that's normal, but something that catches the attention of the watchers and awakens their interest. While hardly anybody gets into that kind of situation, everybody understands what's unpleasant about it and that they don't want it to happen to themselves.

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Mon 15 Sep 2014 09:50

Bookworm wrote:Evidently our respective tastes are very different; as that's the category I prefer the most.
Hm, Du bist also mit anime/manga überversorgt :beee:

I am watching "Vampire Princess Miyu" (1997) these days. And while it's barely about vampirism and nothing about a princess, I am getting the impression that anime from the 90's generally showed more older characters - or more of an age balance.
Bookworm wrote: While hardly anybody gets into that kind of situation, everybody understands what's unpleasant about it and that they don't want it to happen to themselves.
Ah, so it's basically an "emotional trigger" more than anything else. "Plot device" is an interestingly sterile term in this respect.

Bookworm
Preacher of KANAism

Post by Bookworm » Tue 16 Sep 2014 08:28

Jo' wrote:Hm, Du bist also mit anime/manga überversorgt :beee:
Tatsächlich habe ich den gegenteiligen Eindruck; es gibt nur wenige Serien, die mir wirklich gefallen, da anscheinend die meisten auf irgendwelche übernatürlichen Hilfsmittel wie Außerirdische, Magie oder Superkräfte zurückgreifen (das soll wohl interessanter wirken) und damit die Kategorie "slice of life" ad absurdum führen.

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Tue 16 Sep 2014 09:31

Bookworm wrote:da anscheinend die meisten auf irgendwelche übernatürlichen Hilfsmittel wie Außerirdische, Magie oder Superkräfte zurückgreifen (das soll wohl interessanter wirken) und damit die Kategorie "slice of life" ad absurdum führen.
Interessanter Weise empfinde ich diese übernatürlichen Mittel - die ich wiederum mag - in den meisten fällen als nicht konsequent durchgezogen, oder am Ende ist es dann plötzlich doch nix übernatürliches. Ich bleib dabei, da so'n Manga üblicher Weise nur von einer Person ersonnen wird, überschätzt man wohl in den meisten Fällen deren geniale Kreativität.

z.B. "Oh, My Goddess". Warum eine Göttin es toll findet einen minderjährigen Menschen auf der Erde zu bemuttern, macht in der Tat nicht den geringsten Sinn. Außer, wenn es die grundsätzliche Idee des Mangaka war (plus, wie Du sagst, einem beliebigen übersinnlichen Element) und man dann daraus eine slice-of-life Geschichte gesponnen hat. Das obligatorische Drama "Plot Device" oh, die Göttin wird zurück gerufen *heul*heil* Ah ne, sie darf doch wieder (so nach etwa 5-10 Minuten "heulheul und ach, wie ungerecht" in der selben Episode) zurück *Yay!* (ähnl. "Girls Bravo")

Das Manga "The World only God knows" wurde ja auch vor einigen Monaten auf skurrilster Art und Weise zu Ende geführt. Da habe ich auch das Gefühl, dem Mangaka fiel nix mehr zur ursprünglichen Idee (Game-Nerd dated 3D Mädchen nach 2D Methoden) ein und auch nicht mehr zu seiner zweiten Idee (Verschwörung in der Hölle). Ob wohl es initial brillant war. Überhaupt haben ebenso viele Anime ein Problem mit einem überzeugenden Ende.

PS: in the last episodes of Vampire Princess Miyu one of her classmates suddenly has an onii-chan. Miyu kills him and the classmate reveals that of course she meant to marry her brother...
CHECK all right for this stereo type :thumbs_up:

Bookworm
Preacher of KANAism

Post by Bookworm » Wed 17 Sep 2014 09:07

Jo' wrote:Das Manga "The World only God knows" wurde ja auch vor einigen Monaten auf skurrilster Art und Weise zu Ende geführt.
TWGOK ist ein Beispiel dafür, wie der richtige Zeitpunkt verpasst werden kann, eine Geschichte zu einem zufriedenstellenden Ende zu führen. Dabei hatte es doch sehr vielversprechend angefangen: die Figuren wirkten kurios, aber gleichzeitig sympathisch, und die Geschichte hatte gerade die richtige Mischung aus Spannung und Humor. Das ist auch der Grund, warum ich mich hier nicht, wie sonst häufig, an den übernatürlichen Zutaten störe; denn dieser Manga nahm sich von Anfang an nicht zu ernst: das begann schon damit, dass ausgerechnet ein Putzteufelchen (Erushī als Mitarbeiterin beim Reinigungspersonal der Hölle) auf Geisterjagd geschickt wurde. Und gerade als die ursprüngliche Idee Gefahr lief, sich zu oft zu wiederholen und dadurch langweilig zu werden, folgte ein neuer Handlungsstrang mit dem Auftritt Tenris und dem Erscheinen der Göttinnen. Als die Göttinnen dann schließlich loszogen, um die bösen Verschwörer zu besiegen, wäre der passende Zeitpunkt gewesen, die Geschichte mit einem furiosen Finale zum Abschluss zu bringen. Aber offenkundig wollte man das Huhn, das goldene Eier legt, nicht gerne schlachten; und so wurde die große Auseinandersetzung einfach übersprungen und die Geschichte ohne erkennbare Zielsetzung fortgeführt. Manchmal wirkte es tatsächlich so, als ob dem Autor allmählich die Ideen ausgingen (oder als ob er keine rechte Lust mehr hatte), wenn manche Episoden in die Länge gezogen wurden wie Kaugummi, bis es endlich wieder einen Fortschritt in der Handlung gab; oder wenn frühere Konzepte einfach kopiert wurden (so mussten für die bereits besiegten bösen Verschwörer nun weitere, noch bösere Verschwörer her, um das Ganze fortsetzen zu können). Auch hier blitzten hin und wieder ansprechende Ideen auf (beispielsweise als sich Keima bei seiner Zeitreise plötzlich als Siebenjähriger wiederfand), aber insgesamt wurde der Handlungsverlauf immer konfuser - bis die Geschichte recht abrupt zu einem nicht sonderlich überzeugenden Ende kommt: durch die Zeitreisen wird die Vergangenheit so manipuliert, dass der Anfang der Geschichte gar nicht erst stattfindet (wobei immer noch verschiedene Rätsel, die im Laufe der Handlung angedeutet wurden, ungelöst bleiben, wie z. B. Erushīs Familienverhältnisse, oder die wahre Identität von Akari/Rimyueru ).
Jo' wrote:Überhaupt haben ebenso viele Anime ein Problem mit einem überzeugenden Ende.
Da stimme ich dir zu; mir fallen dazu ein die wenig stimmigen Enden von Ai Yori Aoshi, To-Love-ru, oder Oniichan No Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Ja Nai N Da Kara Ne, wo jeweils zwanghaft versucht wurde, der Handlung einen dramatischen Abschluss zu geben, den sie in der Manga-Vorlage nicht hatte. Besonders verunglückt fand ich den Schluss der zweiten Staffel von Ore No Imouto Ga Konnani Kawaii Wake Ga Nai, der meines Erachtens die Geschichte völlig ruiniert.

Jo'
Not nice desü

Post by Jo' » Wed 17 Sep 2014 13:33

TWGOK wurde da wirklich vergeigt. Nora und Haqua sollten doch in einem riesigen Show-Down Satyr in diesem Felsen erlegen... das wird aber gar nicht gezeigt - oder hab ich im online Manga was übersehen? Das die Lehrerin Dokurou ist... okay. Wer Elsie wirklich war... war es nötig dies nun am Ende in Frage zu stellen? Warum Keima sich für Chihiro entschieden hat - warum er sich überhaupt ohne ersichtlichen Grund für ein "3D Mädchen" entschied, hat sich mir nicht erschlossen. Aber wie er sagte, bei so vielen Mädels musste man ein 'Ende' setzen. Auch für die Spekulation der Fan-Gemeinde vermutlich.

Ich hab die erste Staffel von "Girls Bravo" angeschaut. Predikat: sinnlos. Es fasziniert mich schon beinahe, wie da die Logik zur Erstellung solcher Projekte abläuft. Selbst "Exel Saga" macht mehr Sinn, hat mehr Geschichte, mehr Kontinuität.

Ich werf mal einen Blick auf die von Dir genannten...

Bookworm
Preacher of KANAism

Post by Bookworm » Thu 18 Sep 2014 08:29

Jo' wrote:Nora und Haqua sollten doch in einem riesigen Show-Down Satyr in diesem Felsen erlegen... das wird aber gar nicht gezeigt - oder hab ich im online Manga was übersehen?
Dieses Muster tauchte bereits vorher auf, als die Göttinnen die Verschwörer von Vintage besiegten - auch dort bekamen wir nur hinterher gesagt, dass die Göttinnen gewonnen haben. Dabei hätte sich gerade diese Szene für die Serie gut als Ende mit Knalleffekt geeignet - aber genau das sollte wohl vermieden werden.
Jo' wrote:Wer Elsie wirklich war... war es nötig dies nun am Ende in Frage zu stellen?
Bedauerlicherweise leidet TWGOK an einigen Inkonsequenzen; als ob dort nachträglich Ideen eingefügt wurden, die von der ursprünglichen Konzeption abwichen. So wirft jetzt der Schluss den Anfang der Serie völlig über den Haufen, der sich nun nicht mehr ereignet haben kann, nachdem die Vergangenheit erfolgreich verändert wurde - das ist nicht nur verwirrend, sondern stiehlt dem Manga auch einiges von seinem Charme. Schließlich ging es doch gerade darum, dass hier zwei Partner (Computerspiel-Fanatiker und Putzteufelchen) erfolgreich waren, die zuvor in ihren jeweiligen sozialen Umgebungen als Versager betrachtet wurden, aber in ihrer Zusammenarbeit dann mehr erreichen konnten als andere.
Jo' wrote:Warum Keima sich für Chihiro entschieden hat - warum er sich überhaupt ohne ersichtlichen Grund für ein "3D Mädchen" entschied, hat sich mir nicht erschlossen.
Diese Entwicklung ist in meinen Augen durchaus sinnvoll. Keima hat letztlich den Zugang zur wirklichen Welt gefunden und gelernt, in dieser zurechtzukommen - da erscheint es passend, dass er jetzt auch in der Lage ist, eine Partnerschaft mit einem realen Mädchen einzugehen. Natürlich hätte Tenri besser zu ihm gepasst - aber beide waren Außenseiter in der Gesellschaft und wären es auch zusammen geblieben. Mit Chihiro lässt sich Keimas Weiterentwicklung besser illustrieren: er entscheidet sich für ein Mädchen, das mit beiden Beinen auf dem Boden der Wirklichkeit steht, und ist damit endgültig mitten in der realen Welt angekommen.